Sunday, August 19, 2012

Pike's Peak and The Incline

Ever since I summited Mt. Kilimanjaro in 2009, I've had the hiking, climbing, camping, and exploration bug.  I'm not yet a multi-day, self-sufficient hiker and camper, but I have begun to learn about the gear, terminology, and stories & personalities of the beloved mountains to conquer and trails to blaze all around the world.  A few weeks ago, on my journey through the Andean Mountains along the Lares Trek to Machu Picchu, I was captivated once more by God' tremendous creation.  Our Creator is magnificent; He has painted breathtaking landscapes with brilliant colors and unimaginable beauty.  Thank you, God, for your creation, and that we are part of it.  We honor You; we worship You. 
~
I first learned of Pike's Peak a few years ago when I started reading Runner's World magazine.  There's a half and full marathon every summer up this massive mountain whose summit peaks at just over 14,000 ft in Colorado.  I don't think I'll ever be able to run a marathon up to that elevation, but I am just itching to go to the mountain, to take it in and push myself physically and mentally once more as I hike to the top.  Check out the pictures below!!  How wonderful!  My tentative goal is to go during mid-April or late June in 2013.  If anyone still reads this blog and loves hiking, e-mail me and we'll go!

Link to information about Pike's Peak: http://www.trailsandopenspaces.org/hiking-pikes-peak.html



I may even be crazy enough to attempt "The Incline," a mile-long and 1/2 mile-high former railroad track in Manitou, CO.  (Very close to Pike's Peak).  Check it out!


The sign shown in this last picture says "Warning, do not enter... no trespassing.  Private property."  Apparently it's technically illegal to climb this 'ladder,' but hundreds or even thousands do it each summer and throughout the year.  The city council is working on opening it up, officially, to the public. 

No comments: