Monday, June 10, 2013

sweat is the kindest creature

"I said not long before that work and weakness are comforters.  But sweat is the kindest creature of the three - far better than philosophy, as a cure for ill thoughts."  - CS Lewis, Till We Have Faces (91)

If you haven't read Till We Have Faces, you should.  I read it this year, and it immediately made it to my top-5 favorite books list. As I was clearing out my notes on my iPhone earlier tonight, I came across a note where I had bookmarked this quote when reading through Till We Have Faces back in January & February.  There is something about the cleansing power of hard physical work and sweat to work through the tangled mess that sometimes is life - people and community, circumstances, problems, etc.  How timely, then, that my air conditioning seems to be broken again (or maybe it's just finicky?).  I didn't have time to run tonight. Instead, I'll consider the sweatiness of grading over 300 papers worth of HWs, tests, and projects work enough to calm my anxious spirit as I look forward with eagerness to the things that lay ahead.

The rain pours tonight. 

No comments: